Home/About Us/Health Wise/Health Wise Fall 2012/Is Bariatric Surgery For Me?
Is Bariatric Surgery For Me?
Nationwide, more than 20 million Americans have diabetes, most of them type 2 - the form linked to obesity. A growing body of research now supports weight-loss surgery as more effective than drugs, diet and exercise in causing a remission for people who are obese and already have diabetes. According to a new Swedish study published in the New England Journal of Medicine,
it’s twice as effective.
St Mary's Medical Center now provides bariatric services to help stem the tide of obesity and its health effects. With the growing body of evidence showing patients who have bariatric surgery realize significant improvement in their health, many insurance companies now cover the procedure.
Of all surgical weight loss options available today, laparoscopic adjustable gastric band (lap-band) is the least invasive. It does not require rerouting the intestinal tract (as with gastric bypass) or stapling and the lap-band procedure has a very low rate of complications. However, it does require a strong commitment by the patient.
Lap-band surgery may be right for you if:
- Your BMI is more than 40; or more than 35 with obesity-related health conditions
- You weigh twice your ideal weight or are at least 80 to 100 pounds overweight
- You are between the ages of 18 and 60
- You have been overweight for five years or more
- You have been unable to lose weight through diet and exercise
- You do not have an illness that has caused you to be overweight
- You do not drink too much alcohol
- You are committed to making changes in your diet and lifestyle
- You are willing to continue working with and be monitored by your doctor.
Most insurance companies require patients have a psychological evaluation prior to having bariatric surgery.
Those considering gastric band surgery are urged to attend a free educational seminar. Seminars are held regularly.
Go to bariatickc.com for information or call St. Mary's bariatric nurse navigator at 816-655-5560.